One of the easiest to use and most popular fluidized filter beds available.
Much more efficient than the traditional under-gravel filter system. Hangs on the side or back of the aquarium.
Due to its unique shape, the Lifegard Fluidized Bed Filter is an extremely efficient...high capacity biological filter. Aquatic organisms excrete toxic ammonia as a metabolic waste product...with additional ammonia produced as food and other organic matter breaks down and decomposes. This toxic ammonia (NH3) is converted to another toxic compound nitrite (NO2) by the Nitrosomonas species of bacteria. The nitrite is then converted to a relatively non toxic compound called nitrate (NO3) by the Nitrobacter species of bacteria. This process is known as nitrification. A biological filter is a vessel where nitrification occurs and soluble waste is removed. Beneficial bacteria attach to the media within the Lifegard Fluidized Bed Filter... creating a thin film around the sand grains. Water is pumped up through the unit...lifting the sand into a fluidized bed. The beneficial bacteria attached to the media draw in dissolved wastes (ammonia and nitrite), oxygen supplied by exclusive water fall device and other required nutrients from the passing water converting them to relatively harmless nitrate. The sand grains are in continual free fall through the water...resulting in an excellent transfer capability between the liquid and the bacterial film on the media. The enormously high surface area combined with this excellent transfer capability creates the perfect habitat for bacterial growth. In addition, the sand grains bump into each other frequently...knocking off excess debris and providing a self cleaning function which allows new areas for bacterial growth. The Lifegard Fluidized Bed Filter has been tested and proven to supply the highest level of effluent water quality and will respond quickly and efficiently to severe changes in ammonia levels caused by over feeding or the addition of too many fish at one time. To obtain highest water quality... a Lifegard Fluidized Bed Filter should be part of the system.
* Adjustable Clamp
* Spring loaded clamp creates a snug fit to any aquarium or reservoir tank.
* Check Valve
* Keeps media in place and allows for easy start up. External location for easy cleaning
or replacement. Can be used in either the top or bottom inlet port.
* Angular shaped media collide frequently, knocking off debris which creates new area for bacterial growth to occur. Enormous surface area for bacterial growth. Easily fluidized with a small power head pump.
* Distribution Plate
* Inlet ports on each side of the base for below tank installations. Use inlet ports on each side to connect multiple units together for any size installation. Inlet and outlet ports at the top for hang on aquarium installations
* Lifts the sand bed evenly and completely for perfect fluidization.
* Free Standing Base
* Holds unit in place for installations below or beside the aquarium.
* Control Valve
* Adjusts media level for maximum expansion of the filter bed and proper water flow. Prevents media from escaping and entering aquarium. Can be easily removed to add additional media.
* Increases oxygen level by spreading out a thin sheet of gently falling water.
* Innovative design creates more filter volume area for increased capacity. Flat side for snug fit to any aquarium or reservoir tank.
* Clear Chamber
* Easy to view fluidization level at a glance.
* Inlet ports on each side of the base for below tank installations. Use inlet ports on each side to connect multiple units together for any size
installation. Inlet and outlet ports at the top for hang on aquarium installations
Surface area of 214Square feet!
Requires pump or powerhead to operate filter